Welcome to the W3E Secret Pal Homepage
Overview: W3E is a voluntary “secret pal” gift exchange, with four opportunities to participate per year.
Official Name: World Wide Woodcarvers Exchange (W3E)
To Join: You must be a currently subscribed member of one of these woodcarver lists or Facebook group to participate:
- Woodcarver Listserve
- Woodcarver List Facebook group
- Woodcarving Fun List
- ASA List
- Knotholes List
- Fishcarver2 List
- WOM-W3E Notify List
- Or receive permission of the Exchange Manager
Note: Previous participants who do not currently belong to a mail list may request an exemption by contacting the Exchange Manager — see contact information below.
Frequency: Four session per year. You may participate as little or as often as your time and interest permit. You may enroll up to two times for the same exchange.
Carving Guidelines: Within the bounds of good taste, whatever style and topic you wish to carve. Carvings may reflect the season, but that is not required. For example, someone who carves Santas can carve Santas at any time. Chip carvers can chip, woodburners can burn.
Size and Time Investment: This too, is up to the individual carver, but it is suggested that projects be small enough to finish in 2 to 8 hours. (This should not be your life’s work!) If you have lots of time on your hands and want to do more than one carving, to swap with more than one person, that’s fine. Sign your work with pride, and date/number as desired.
A Word on Skill Level:
W3E is intended for carvers of all skill levels — it is not about how good you happen to be; it’s about sharing your gifts with other carvers. Beginners should not be reluctant to participate because their work “might not measure up” to the work of others in the list.
As participant John Jellies said:
Novice carvers should be encouraged, since they can be assured that each and every carver participating in the exchange will be thrilled by the act of exchange, and the carvings. A carving from one who shares from love or kindness is more precious than that from a master — which may be a trinket disposed of.
Commitment Announcement: The W3E Coordinator will send a message to the various woodcarving lists announcing the opening of the commitment period for participation in the next exchange cycle. Committing to a cycle means that you have (or will have) a COMPLETED piece in hand and ready to go by the time you receive shipping information.
ALL responses MUST be through the Commitment Registration form, found at the bottom of this page.
Shipping Notice: Within about three weeks of the close of the registration period, shipping notices will be sent individually to each person who has committed to participate in a cycle. Notices will contain the complete shipping address and email address of the randomly selected gift recipient. Package up your carving, drop in a note with your name & email address (and other comments if you desire), ship it off and you are done! When your gift carving arrives, be sure to email your secret pal to confirm the arrival and to thank him or her.
An Important Caveat: This is a voluntary program and no fees are charged. By the same token, no guarantee is expressed or implied regarding the quality, size or timeliness of delivery of a exchange piece.
Upcoming In Year 19 & 20 :
73) Spring ’16 — Commitment Registration begins on the Vernal Equinox, March 20 and ends April 20. Shipping information sent by May 10
74) Summer ’16 — Commitment Registration begins on the Summer Solstice, June 20 and ends July 21. Shipping information sent by August 10
75) Fall ’16 — Commitment Registration begins on the Autumnal Equinox, September 22 and ends October 22. Shipping information sent by November 10
76) Winter ’17 — Commitment Registration begins on the Winter Solstice, December 21 and ends Janjary 21. Shipping information sent by February 10
77) Spring ’17 — Commitment Registration begins on the Vernal Equinox, March 20 and ends April 20. Shipping information sent by May 10
78) Summer ’17 — Commitment Registration begins on the Summer Solstice, June 20 and ends July 21. Shipping information sent by August 10
79) Fall ’17 — Commitment Registration begins on the Autumnal Equinox, September 22 and ends October 22. Shipping information sent by November 10
80) Winter ’18 — Commitment Registration begins on the Winter Solstice, December 21 and ends January 21. Shipping information sent by February 10
Questions, queries, posers? Email the W3E Director, Matt Kelley. Click the About link in the menu bar at the top of the page and use the contact form in the right side bar on that page. Be sure to include “W3E Secret Pal Exchange Question” as the first line in the message section
Last Update 12–22-14